S O L D
Square Corner Cabinets
Qing Dynasty, China
89 cm wide | 46 cm deep | 144 cm high
Square Corner Cabinets, the figured panel doors enclosing shelves and two short drawers, with simple shaped brackets upon stile feet.
Compare a similarly Square Corner Cabinet in Chinese Furniture, A Guide to Collecting Antiques, by Karen Mazurkewich, p. 123, fig. 313
* Square Corner Cabinets
This rectangular-shaped storage cabinet derives its name from its boxy roof overhang. The imposing size of the cabinet is softened only by the slight splay of the legs and the decorative lock panels on the front. These cabinets almost always come in pairs and are either positioned at opposite ends of a room to create a sense of balance or along a wall, separated by a table. The primary function of a square corner cabinet was to store clothes.
* Chinese Furniture, A Guide to Collecting Antiques, by Karen Mazurkewich
– Chinese furniture
The forms of Chinese furniture evolved along three distinct lineages which dates back to 1000 BC, based on frame and panel, yoke and rack (based on post and rail seen in architecture) and bamboo construction techniques. Chinese home furniture evolved independently of Western furniture into many similar forms including chairs, tables, stools, cabinets, beds and sofas.
Chinese furniture traditionally consisted of four distinct categories, all formed by the mid Qing dynasty, but each with its own unique characteristics.
- Beijing category (京式家具): characterized by its simple build, directly developed from Ming Dynasty furnitures.
- Guangzhou category (广式家具): incorporating western influence, formed in the 19th century. Characterized by the adoptation of the decrorative mounting of marble and the shells of shellfish.
- Shanghai category (海式家具): characterized by its decrorative sculpture and sculptured paint.
- Suzhou category (苏式家具): Opposite to the Beijing category, characterized by its elaborate decoration, developed from early Qing Dynasty furnitures.
Complete the contact form below to request more information about this item.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Becker Antiques | since 1969.